Toothaches. If you’ve ever experienced one, you know exactly just how uncomfortable and painful they can be. Since it’s National Toothache Day and all, what better time to share the facts you need to know about toothaches, and how you can find relief.
Common Causes of Tooth Pain:
- Grinding teeth
- Ear infection
- Sinus infection
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Worn enamel
- Abscessed tooth
- Joint or muscle disorders
- A cracked tooth or filling
When you first start to feel discomfort in or around your teeth and jaws (or any kind shooting pain), take these steps:
- Determine which tooth it is. One quick trick is to count back from your front two teeth.
- Now, identify what makes it hurt. Hot coffee? Cold beverages? Sensitivity to sweets? These are common triggers. Be sure to take note of how long the pain lingers as well.
- Is the pain sharp like lightening or ongoing and dull? Either way, call SLO Smiles immediately and communicate the facts above. Our caring dentists will see you as soon as possible. Although not all toothaches are serious, it’s important not to wait it out and exacerbate the issue. Call (805) 541-0550 and protect your whole-body health.
Looking for relief before your appointment?
- Floss to remove any food particles that could be causing you pain
- Rinse regularly with warm salt water
- Consider taking over-the-counter pain reliever
Want to prevent toothaches in the first place?
- Commit to brushing and flossing each and every day
- Choose to cut down on sugar across your diet to prevent a wide variety of dental issues. Sensitivity to sweets is a common sign of decay.
- If you’re a smoker, make 2019 the year you quit. You can do it! Here are a few free resources proven to help
- Prioritize your health by scheduling regular dental exams and cleanings with SLO Smiles
Ready to find relief from debilitating pain or prevent toothaches from causing you problems? Contact SLO Smiles friendly San Luis Obispo dental office to schedule your appointment today at (805) 541-0550.