LATEST NEWS • 8/27/2021
SLO Smiles Patients,
When arriving at your appointment, please enter our office through the front doors with your face covering secured. We will take your temperature as you enter the office.
A few reminders to keep in mind before your next appointment:
- Please reschedule if you or anyone in your household has been sick in the last two weeks.
- Only patients and at MOST one guardian are permitted at appointments.
- Social distancing is in effect, maintain 6 feet of distance at all times.
- Masks are required BEFORE you enter the office.
- Please use hand sanitizer when you enter the office.
- Please allow us enough time for proper disinfection between patients.
- We will be checking temperatures as you enter the office.
As always, we thank you greatly for your support and understanding, we have the BEST patients around!
The Team at SLO Smiles
Your Health and Safety Are Our First Concern
WE HAVE ALWAYS:
- Followed all infection control recommendations made by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA and Cal-OSHA), the American Dental Association (ADA), the California Department of Health, and the California State Dental Board.
- Utilized one-use disposable supplies such as gloves, headrest covers, saliva ejectors, etc. whenever appropriate.
- Cleaned and heat sterilized all dental instruments and equipment between each patient use.
- Cleaned and disinfected all counter tops, handles, and operatory hard surfaces between each patient use.
- Minimized or eliminated any potentially contaminated aerosols produced by dental procedures with the usage of high-volume suctions.
- Separated dental operatory chairs by more than 10 feet and by the presence of walls and physical barriers.
- Provided hand sanitizers for our patients and visitors.
IN ADDITION, WE NOW:
- Use Medify Air MA-40 Air Purifiers throughout the office to remove 99.9% of airborne particles down to .1 microns, including virus carriers, bacteria and more.
- Screen all patients and visitors for any disease symptoms and with temperature checks.
- Have removed all books, magazines, toys, and coffee service from the reception area to reduce the potential for surface contamination.
- Require all patients and visitors to wear facial coverage in the reception room.
- Require all employees to wear facial masks at all times.
- Maintain safe social distancing between all patients and visitors by strictly controlling patient access and reception room seating.
- No longer allow caregivers, parents (except for very young patients) or siblings to accompany patients in the dental operatory to avoid unwanted contamination of any operatory and office surfaces.
- Meticulously clean, disinfect, and sanitize all dental operatory surfaces including the dental and operator chairs between each patient use.
- Provide additional personal protective equipment (PPE) to all employees.
- Frequently clean and disinfect reception room surfaces throughout the day.
- Have increased the number of hand sanitizing stations throughout the office.
- Continuously monitor the staff health and require daily temperature checks.
- Continuously monitor all federal, state, and local health and infection control guidelines for updated protocols.
As we navigate our new normal, we wish to provide you, our patients, with the tools and information required to make your dental experience as safe and comfortable as possible. Since face-to-face contact is limited for the foreseeable future, it is most imperative that we can communicate effectively with you electronically. For this purpose, please be certain that our front office is provided with your most current contact information.
Email addresses and cell phone numbers
All general information involving changes and modifications regarding office policy and procedures will be communicated to each of you via email and text.
Under the guidance of Governor Newson as well as the California Dental Association, we are providing dental care with some associated modifications and restrictions. We are allowing more time between patients to allow for a thorough sanitization of the dental operatory. Our appointment times are less flexible due to the requirements of social distancing, and it is imperative that patients arrive in a timely manner to complete pre-appointment health evaluations. Late arrivals will most likely require reappointment.
Due to the virulent nature of the COVID-19 virus and for the health and safety of our team and other patients, we are only able to schedule healthy and uncompromised patients for dental procedures currently.
We request any patients experiencing any of the following traits, symptoms, or characteristics to refrain from scheduling elective dental procedures at this time:
- Presently or recently feverish (>100.4° F) within the past 14 to 21 days
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Flu-like symptoms, such as gastrointestinal upset, headache, or fatigue
- Recent loss of taste or smell
Due to the backlog of patients requiring care that has been delayed by the pandemic, we are only able to provide treatment and services for appointed patients. Walk-in patients will not be admitted. Any patient experiencing a dental emergency should first call our office (805) 541-0550 for additional instructions.
PATIENT CHECK-IN PROCEDURE
- Screening will be completed at check-in, including a temperature check.
- Any patients or persons with fever, cough, or flu-like symptoms will be rescheduled and denied entry into the office.
- Facial masks covering both the nose and mouth will be required for all patients and individuals before entry into the office.
(Exceptions will be made for delivery personnel, infants, very young patients, or any individuals who are too young or immature to tolerate a facial mask. Please notify the office staff prior to your appointment if you are in this category.) Patients and visitors are expected to provide their own masks or facial covering. Any patient arriving without a facial mask will be given one to wear. Any accompanying guests must wait outside the office (exceptions will be made for young children and those requiring assistance).
- Only appointed patients will be allowed entry into the office.
Due to social distancing requirements, we are not able to allow unappointed siblings, additional relatives, or friends to accompany patients into the office. (Exceptions may be made in unique circumstances. Please call the office prior to your appointment if you feel your situation is unique.)
- Upon entry into the office, please sanitize your hands. Be careful to maintain social distancing with all other patients and visitors.
Although we sanitize and disinfect door handles, countertops, and other hard surfaces every few hours, the reception area cannot be sanitized to the level of a dental operatory. We recommend minimizing touching of your face and any reception area surfaces. Hand sanitization is recommended before exiting the office. Facial coverage should remain in place throughout your stay in the reception area. No food or drinks are allowed!
A NOTE FROM DR. IAN
Please be assured that the health and safety of you and your family remain our primary concern. My team and I have spent many hours reviewing and discussing the ever-changing federal, state, and local health guidelines. I believe the procedural modifications we are enacting best address the new challenges of the COVID-19 virus and enable us to deliver dental services within this new environment in the safest manner possible for both patients and staff. We will continue to monitor changing health guidelines and will make additional modifications when necessary. Please feel free to call our office with any questions or concerns (805) 541-0550.
Yours for better dental health,
Ian G. Leopold, DDS